On June 10th, 1934 Prof. Arturo Manna (1886-1972), a general surgeon from Rome, with a particular interest for reconstructive surgery, established the Società Italiana di Chirurgia Riparatrice Plastica ed Estetica.
Historically, the Italian Society of Plastic Surgery is one of the eldest. It comes after the American Association of Oral and Plastic Surgeons, established in 1921, the Société Scientifique Française de Chirurgie Réparatrice Plastique et Esthétique, constituted in 1930 by Louis Dartigues and Charles Claoué from Paris and Bordeaux respectively, the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, founded in 1931 by Jacques Maliniac.
On January 1935, Prof. Manna begun the publication of “La Chirurgia Plastica”, a scientific journal issued on a bi-monthly basis. The editorial board included some of the most renowned European and American Plastic Surgeons of the period. “La Chirurgia Plastica” ceased the publications in 1941, due to World War 2.
The 1st Congress of the Società Italiana di Chirurgia Riparatrice Plastica ed Estetica took place in Bologna on October 24th ,1935 as a tribute to Gaspare Tagliacozzi (1545-1599), author of “De Curtorum Chirurgia per Insitionem” (Plastic Surgery by grafts), and considered the founder of Plastic Surgery. Thus, 80 years have elapsed since the first Congress of the Società Italiana di Chirurgia Riparatrice Plastica ed Estetica.
The 2nd Congress was held in Rome in 1936. The Third in Turin in 1937 and the Fourth in Rome in 1938, an included an important International faculty. All these meetings were under the Presidency of Prof. Arturo Manna.
With the advent of World War 2, the activities of the Society were interrupted. They were resumed in 1951 with a memorable Congress held in Bologna, organized by Gustavo Sanvenero Rosselli (1897-1974), in the meantime appointed President of the Society. The U.S Plastic Surgeon Jerome P. Webster, honorary guest of the Congress, received the laurea honoris causa of Bologna University for his book “The Life and Times of Gaspare Tagliacozzi, surgeon of Bologna”, the most complete study on Gaspare Tagliacozzi and his period.
On June 1954 the 6^ Congress took place in Turin. Since then the Congresses of the Society have been organized on a regular basis.
Gustavo Sanvenero Rosselli, remained the President of the Italian Society of Plastic Surgery until 1971. In 1967, the Society sponsored the 4th International Congress of the International Confederation of Plastic Surgery (IPS), which was held in Rome from October 8th to 13th, under the Presidency of Gustavo Sanvenero Rosselli. The international participation was remarkable: more than 3,000 delegates from all over the world.
On 1976, the Society changed its name into Società Italiana di Chirurgia Plastica and later, in 1986, into Società Italiana di Chirurgia Plastica Ricostruttiva ed Estetica (SICPRE). The logo represents the arm flap nasal reconstruction, as it appears in the book by Gaspare Tagliacozzi. The acronym SICPRE is included in the logo.
On 1969 Prof. Giovanni Dogo, from Padua, established the “Rivista Italiana di Chirurgia Plastica”, which became the official journal of the Society. Initially, the editor-in-chief was Giovanni Dogo himself, then Zeno Martini, Simone Teich Alasia, Francesco Mazzoleni and Domenico Dioguardi. The “Rivista Italiana di Chirurgia Plastica” ceased its publications in 2010.